Monday, February 8, 2016

Weekend Wrap - Sweet Potato Skins

Busy weekend here!  Between my first weekend working and lots of fun birthday parties for the girls, we had lots going on this weekend!  Saturday morning I was ready to get to the office and get my day started versus workout.  I told DJ I had to workout as soon as I got home, so making the verbal commitment helped; however, going forward I have got to get my workout in before I head into the office on the weekends.  I really did not want to workout when I got home.  I was tired, hungry, had a headache - a million reasons why I should've just skipped!!  I'm glad I pushed through and got the workout knocked out, but this coming weekend I'm working out first thing Saturday morning!

Luckily this weekend we had quite a bit of food frozen from the past several weeks.  We pulled out shredded chicken for chicken salad on Sunday, chili for dinner one night, and frozen meatballs and marinara sauce for another meal.  DJ also grilled a variety of chicken drummies, which we enjoyed for the Super Bowl and we froze enough for lunch several days next week.  It's great during tax season to have a few things already prepared, so we'll continue to cook extra when we cook new meals and throw half in the freezer.

We did try a new recipe this weekend - sweet potato skins!  We did regular potatoes for the girls, and the sweet potatoes for us.  Saved our yellow and blue for the day so they fit exactly into our meal plan!  Here's the recipe we used:

Sweet potato
Salt
Pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese
Green onion
Bacon
Plain greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake sweet potato until soft, about one hour, slice in half and let cool.  Once cooled, score with a knife, leaving about 1/4 inch of the potato along edge.  Scoop out insides and sit to the side, .  Drizzle inside of potato with olive oil.  Place sweet potato back into oven and bake about 10 minutes.  While sweet potato skin is baking, mash insides from potato and add salt and pepper to taste.  Once skin is baked, remove from oven and fill with mashed potato.  Top with shredded cheese, bake about 10 minutes.  Remove from oven, top with diced green onion and chopped bacon.  Add greek yogurt.  We were really pleased with how these turned out, and will definitely make these again!


No comments:

Post a Comment