Friday, July 1, 2016

Asparagus Salad

We tried out an asparagus salad tonight, and it's going into our regular rotation!  This is a great side dish for all of your summer get together's and perfect for the Fourth!



Asparagus Salad

2 bunches of asparagus
bacon (I cooked about 12 slices, and used 1/2 a slice on my serving)
boiled eggs (I made 5 boiled eggs, and topped my serving with 1/2 of one)
one pint of grape tomatoes, halved
one yellow pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below)
sea salt, to taste

First step, cooking the bacon.  It's a personal preference, but I like my bacon crispy, especially in a salad like this one.  We buy the thick sliced bacon, and cook in the oven.  I put on a baking sheet lined with foil, and cook at 400 degrees.  I cook about 15 minutes, then flip, cooking about another 15 minutes.  Remove from sheet, place on plate lined with paper towel.

While the bacon is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add asparagus to boiling water, and boil 4 - 5 minutes.  Drain, and add asparagus to a bowl of ice water, letting it rest for about 20 seconds, then drain again.  While my water was boiling for the asparagus, I also put my eggs on to boil.

Chop asparagus and place in large mixing bowl.  Add all veggies, 1/3 cup of vinaigrette, sprinkle with sea salt, and mix.  Chill 30 minutes.  When serving, top with diced boiled egg and bacon pieces.

For the balsamic vinaigrette:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsmic vinegar
1 T diced red onion
1 T dijon mustard
1 T honey
1/4 tsp garlic
dash of salt
dash of pepper

Mix above ingredients in food processor or blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment