Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Paleo Coleslaw

DJ grilled ribs for Father's Day this weekend, and though ribs aren't exactly 21 day fix approved, we enjoy splurging sometimes!  We opted for a homemade coleslaw and baked asparagus as our sides to balance out our splurge.  We made the homemade mayo for the coleslaw, and I had to play around with it this time.  I added an egg yolk, as it just wasn't as thick as the last time.  We've read about adding bacon grease to the mayo as well, to give it a little flavor.  I did not go that route this time, as I thought it would be fine in the coleslaw as it was; however, if I was using the mayo on a sandwich, I might give it a shot!

Here's the recipe:

1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1/2 head purple cabbage, chopped
2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/3 cup chopped green onions (add more or less depending on how strong your onions are)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup homemade mayo
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp celery seed
3/4 tsp garlic powder

The hardest part of this recipe is chopping the cabbage!  It makes a pretty big mess - at least it did for me.  After chopping the cabbage, just mix all ingredients together, cover, and chill for about an hour. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment